Tuesday 14 May 2013

Crown and Glory Eats....Green Juice!

 

It seems everyone in the UK right now is currently undertaking either the 5:2 diet or engaging in some serious juicing. As IMHO, starving yourself is just darned crazy, I decided to give this whole green juice thing a whirl! Well if its good enough for Gala Darling, it's good enough for me, right?

So I'm obviously not going to be replacing every meal with a juice one. No, again, crazy people do this. But I did like the idea of replacing breakfast with it - I tend to eat, what i thought was, a relatively healthy breakfast of Fruit n Fibre or Muesli but holy calories batman, using MyFitnessPal for iPad has taught me it's a pretty sugar filled way to start my day. I also like to have this as a snack before a long gym session, have it about half an hour before and you'll feel like a Duracell bunny!

So, my Green Juice for Beautiful Babes (that's you!)

  • 2 x green apples
  • 1/4 of a cucumber
  • 2 handfuls of spinach
  • 1/2 a lemon (peeled)

First up, you can pick up a juicer pretty reasonably; I paid £30 from my local Argos because I was impatient but online will be even cheaper. I'd suggest keeping all your fruit and veg in the fridge as this is way nicer cold! Core your apples, chop your cucumber into chunks and peel your lemon. Mix everything up and put in the juicer. Done! Simples! Drink ASAP rocky and swirl around in your glass as you go so it doesn't settle. This is a fruiter juice than a lot of green juices, but still packed full of nutrients and goodness. We've been using the 'mulch' that's left to add fibre to soups and stews (because its still FUCKING FREEZING in the UK)

 

I've just ordered some wheatgrass powder from Real Foods (as well as a bunch of gluten free stuff yay!) to further pack a punch with my green juice, and will introduce more vegetables like kale (but never celery, vom!) later on. Here are some other green juice recipes you might like to try;

 

  • The aforementioned queen of green juice, Gala Darling's Green Juice for Beginners (I'd say intermediates!)
  • XOJane.com writer Julieanne is a) hilarious and b) I'm really interested in trying the one that tastes like 'distilled jacuzzi water that someone has expired in'. I'm a sick puppy like that.
  • Ooh, tropical green juice. I guess adding vodka on a summers eve would defeat the object somewhat? Rats, I thought you'd say that.

PS) Image edited with the glorious A Beautiful Mess Photoapp for iPhone, it's so fun!

 Crown and Glory Twitter Crown and Glory Pinterest Crown and Glory Instagram Crown and Glory Facebook

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really nice! I've got a juicer hiding in my kitchen cupboard, I might whip it out and give this a go! I have really rubbish breakfasts at the mo and a healthy juice might be the way to go for me too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good breakfast idea! I agree, could never do a solely juice diet, it's just madness! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...